In search of healthy vegan recipes? Check out this bittersweet vegetable gravy- ‘Shukto’ recipe…
Indian meals are scientifically designed. The beginning of the meal starts with an appetizer followed by the main course and finally the ‘chutney’ or the digestive. The work of the appetizer is to cleanse the palate and enhance the hunger so that one can enjoy the main course. Today I will be sharing a very popular appetizer form the Bengali cuisine which is sure to win over hearts: Vegan Vegetable Gravy.
You might also like:
Healthy Vegan Recipes: Bittersweet Vegetable Gravy- ‘Shukto’
This particular recipe, the ‘Shukto’ (pronounce as ‘shook-tow’) is made into a bittersweet and salty curry with veggies and bitter gourd, as the main ingredient. The base of the curry is made with coconut milk which is a vegan alternative traditionally the recipe used cow milk. Not biased but I think the vegan alternative is equally better. You will just need some veggies and drumsticks and you will be good to go.
Serves: Four to Six
Aubergine- 100 gms
Bitter gourd– 50gms
Raw (unripe) banana– 150gms
Sweet potato– 120gms
Raw (unripe) papaya– 150gm
Ginger paste- 35gm
Mustard paste– 25gm
Coconut grated– 1 cup
Sun dried lentil paste (bori) – 10 pc (if available)
Bay leaves– 4
Salt and sugar as per taste.
A pinch of fenugreek, fennel, nigella,
cumin, wild celery seeds for the tempering
How to Prepare Vegan Vegetable Gravy:
- Dice the veggies in into small cubes. Make sure that the veggies are cut in symmetry. The drumsticks should be approximately 3 cms long. Now parboil the veggies with some salt for around 15 minutes. Stir in between and strain to cool completely. Reserve the water.
- Heat 60 gms vegetable oil and fry the lentil dumpling and keep aside. Fry the bitter gourd on medium heat and set aside. Now add in the unripe banana and fry till golden and keep aside. Next veggie to fry is the brinjal. Keep aside.
- Now temper the bay leaves and ginger paste and fry on low heat until you get the fragrance. Add in the mustard paste. Fry for some time. If it turns dry then add some water from the reserved water. Now add the potato first. Cover and cook on low flame. Add the rest of the veggies. And then add the already fried veggies.
- Cook on low flame and add coconut grated. Now add the reserved water and cook until the veggies are cooked completely.
- Lastly, add a cup of coconut milk to get a milky gravy. Check for salt and sugar. Serve hot with steamed white rice.
This recipe is a beautiful mix of spices and veggies and is a palate cleanser. Got more healthy vegan recipes to share with our audience? Let us know in comments.