S’mores and hot dogs make great campfire fodder—but that’s not the only thing you can make.
Registered Dietitian Grace Derocha, with Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan, has a few healthy ideas to try.
- ½ pound redskin potatoes, cut into bite-sized pieces
- ½ pound sweet potatoes, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 4 pre-cooked chicken sausages, cut into 3/4-inch circles
- 2 red bell peppers, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 yellow onion, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 4 tsp olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground pepper
- 1/4 cup minced flat leaf parsley
- Preheat the grill to medium-high heat or prepare campfire.
- In a medium bowl, stir together the potatoes, sausages, bell pepper, onion, olive oil, garlic, oregano, paprika, parsley, salt and pepper.
- Using 2 pieces of foil per packet (each 12 to 15 inches long) for the grill. If cooking in the campfire use 4 pieces of foil for each packet, for a total of 4 packets, form an X by overlapping the foil.
- Divide the potato mixture into 4 portions and place in the middle of each foil X. Wrap the foil over each portion, pinching to seal.
- Place the foil directly on the grill and cook until the potatoes are tender and starting to brown, about 30 minutes. In the campfire, check every 15 minutes.
- Carefully unwrap the foil and serve hot. Enjoy!
Apple Pie Foil Pack
- 1 apple cored and sliced
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 1 1/2 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 Tbsp dried cranberries or golden raisins
- 1 Tbsp chopped pecans
- Preheat grill (to medium heat) or prepare campfire.
- Cut a 12 x 18-inch sheet of nonstick foil and if cooking in the campfire use 3 sheets of foil.
- Place apple slices on foil along with butter, brown sugar and cinnamon and dried cranberries or raisins.
- Wrap packet securely with double-fold seals, allowing for a bit of room for heat expansion. If cooking in campfire use 3 sheets of foil.
- Place packet on grill; cover and cook for about 15 minutes over medium heat. If cooking in campfire cook for about 10-12 minutes.
- Be careful when removing from the grill. It will be very hot. Open carefully due to steam.
- Garnish with pecans. Serve warm, right in the foil pack. Enjoy!
For more recipes and health and wellness tips, visit AHealthierMichigan.org.