When you are counting calories, we know that every bite counts.
Here we have listed out for you, some of the most common culprits that mess up with your weight loss pursuit without your knowledge.
1. Soft drinks: Your favourite, go-to drink with almost all your ‘diet’ food is also the BIGGEST hurdle in shedding those kilos. Yes, you read that correctly. So drop your soda cans right where they belong, in the dustbin. (Apparently, they are pretty good at cleaning your toilets.)
2. Sugar-free products: Did you know that artificial sweeteners do more harm than good by increasing your hunger? While these products are low in calorie, they are not doing you any favour either because artificially sweetened products can cause more craving for sweet products, so the whole idea behind being free of sugar goes for a toss.
3. Alcohol: There is a reason that there is a thing called ‘beer belly’. Your weekend beer and chill session is the reason that your tummy pooch is not going anywhere. Most of all, the calories in alcohol are all ‘empty calories’ with no nutritional value at all and contains 7 calories in a gram.
4. White bread: Lately, you must have observed the ‘brown bread’ revolution taking place everywhere, replacing your beloved soft, white bread. Well, we are here to tell you why. A single piece of white bread is made up of highly-processed, simple carbohydrate, which causes a spike in blood sugar. In this process, when the blood sugar drops again, you will crave for food pretty soon.
Now if that doesn’t convince you to skip the white bread for good, we don’t know what will.
5. Fruit Juice: Quite against the popular notion, fruit juices should not be your go-to drink either. Stripped off of all the fibers, fruit juices available in the supermarket are loaded with sugar.
We will suggest that you rather indulge yourself with the whole fruit itself.
6. Simple Salads: If you are binging on leafy green salads throughout the day in an attempt to shed a Kilo or two, it is more often than not a futile attempt. If you are not incorporating something more filling in your salad like brown rice and sweet potato, your stomach is going to start growling for something to eat, in no time. It just defeats the whole purpose, doesn’t it?
7. High-fiber snack bars: Munching on snack bars and avoiding meals is often seen as one of the first steps leading to dieting. Even if these bars contain fiber, the intake is not consistent. This simply means that consuming a whole snack bar at a time provides a huge dose of fiber while our body needs it in small doses throughout the day to avoid feeling hungry.
8. Whole milk: This one is a no-brainer. All those watching their diet should opt for the skimmed variety, avoiding the extra ‘malai’ and the cholesterol present in the whole milk.
9. Flavoured-water: These fancy looking bottles containing fruit-flavoured water look pretty sitting on your workstation and are obviously a healthier alternative to soft drinks. But, if you are on a mission to lose weight, plain drinking water is your best bet. Remember sugar equals to calories.
10. Low-fat food: These ‘low-fat foods’ are the reason behind your binge eating habits as these diet food are said to have added sweeteners which are often far worse than fat itself.