Moong Dal is a staple across Indian kitchens and this lentil can served in breakfast, lunch or dinner. Besides, having a lot of health benefits, it is rich in fibre adding to your daily controlled-diet to shed those extra kilos.
Moreover, this yellow dal is believed to be helpful in lowering cholesterol and the potassium in it may help keep your blood pressure level in check.
You might have been served with varieties of moong dal dishes, but have you ever tried ‘Moong Dal Chilla’… If not, here’s the recipe for you… And you can also add it your Diwali menu today.
Importantly, if you are already bored of having toast, corn flakes and oats daily in breakfast! Then moong dal chilla is the best option to start your day with. Not only adults, kids will love them too.
About: Quick to prepare and easy to cook, this is one among the lowest fat, healthy and nutritious foods you can have in breakfast.
Preparation Time- 30 Minutes
Ingredients required to make ‘Moong Dal Chilla’
1cup moong dal
3 cup water for soaking
1/4 cup water for grinding or add as needed
1/2 tsp whole cumin
1/4 cup coriander leaves /curry leaves
1/4 cup finely chopped onions
1 tsp chopped ginger
2 green chillies
Salt to taste
1 to 2 tsp edible oil for cooking chillas
• Wash the moong dal 3 to 4 times and soak it in 3 cup water overnight or you can also soak it about 3-4 hours before you start preparing the dish
• Drain and grind it by adding water to it. Keep the batter in a thick poring consistency.
How to make Moong dal chilla
• After grinding take the batter in a bowland add 1/2 teaspoon whole cumin. Then add 1/4 chopped onion, 1/4 cup coriander leaves /curry leaves, 1 tsp chopped ginger, 2 green chillies and mix all the ingredients very well.
• Allow the batter to rest for 15 to 20 minutes
• Heat a frying pan and grease it with a little oil (Note- the heat should be high or else the batter will stick in the pan)
• Take the batter in a laddle and pour it on the pan and spread it out to make a round shape
• Sprinkle little oil on the chilla and on its side and let it cook on a medium heat until the sides become light brown and can be lifted easily (Note- After you spread the batter on the pan, lower the intensity of the heat to let the chilla cook evenly)
• Flip the chilla, sprinkle little oil and let it cook in the same way till it changes color
• Serve it hot with tomato sauce