Photo: Elizabeth Shaw, M.S., R.D.N., C.L.T.
Filled with seasonal butternut squash, mixed berries, protein-packed Greek yogurt, and 100 percent grape juice, this smoothie bowl is one that’ll have you excited for Halloween whether you love putting together an awesome costume every year or you’re more into passing out candy to trick-or-treaters. (You could cool it on the store-bought sugar sticks and make these healthier candy bar alternatives instead.)
You’d never know there was 1/2 cup of nutritionally dense butternut squash in there, but thanks to the naturally sweet veggie you’ll get tons of vitamin A (a fat-soluble vitamin essential for healthy vision, neurological function, and skin) in this purple breakfast bowl.
BTW, this bowl gets that bright violet hue from grape juice, which has been shown to have some of the same healthy compounds as those found in red wine, including the antioxidants known as polyphenols. Plus, certain polyphenols, such as anthocyanins, the nutrient behind the purple and blue pigment in fruits and vegetables (like those mixed berries and Concord grapes in this recipe) may support heart health. (Discover these delicious pink smoothie recipes packed with antioxidants.) Did we mention there are edible spider webs?
Spooktacular Smoothie Bowl with Edible Spider Webs
- 1/2 cup frozen butternut squash
- 1 cup frozen mixed berries
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt, divided
- 1/2 cup 100% Concord grape juice
- Place butternut squash, mixed berries, chia seeds, 1/4 cup of Greek yogurt, and grape juice into a high-speed blender. Blend for 1 minute or until smooth. (Add splash of grape juice as needed to thin out.) Save remaining 1/4 cup of Greek yogurt and place in small ziplock bag.
- Pour smoothie into a bowl. Cut a small hole in bottom corner of ziplock bag, just wide enough so you can gently squeeze Greek yogurt out.
- Beginning at the edge of the bowl near the center, draw 6 to 8 lines of Greek yogurt from that point to the opposing edge. From there, connect each line with a “u” shape. Repeat until the web begins to appear.
Nutrition facts per serving: calories 280; total fat 4g; saturated fat 1g; cholesterol 5mg; sodium 80mg; potassium 491mg; carbohydrates 53g; fiber 9g; protein 14g