- If your dog has been diagnosed with a nutritional deficiency or a specific health problem, your veterinarian may recommend a supplement.
- Keep in mind the risk for overdose and take the time to choose a veterinarian-recommended supplement made with high-quality ingredients and formulated in the proper dosage for your dog.
- Featuring a delicious chicken flavor and a well-rounded blend of essential vitamins and minerals, PetHonesty 10-for-1 Multivitamins can help to support your dog’s mobility, digestion, energy, and skin health with a potent, high-concentration formula that your dog will think is a treat.
You care about your dog’s health, so you do your best to feed it a nutritionally balanced diet. Thanks to regulatory organizations like the Association of American Feed Control Officials (AAFCO), most commercial dog foods are formulated to meet a dog’s minimum nutritional needs. What many dog owners fail to realize, however, is that not all dog foods are created equal. In fact, many dog food recipes leave something to be desired when it comes to optimal levels of key nutrients.
If your doctor were to tell you there’s a deficiency in your diet, you would probably think about taking a supplement. Why shouldn’t the same be true for your dog? Dog supplements are very easy to find, but the problem is that there are so many of them it can be difficult to tell which one is best or even which ones you should consider. You should defer to your veterinarian for nutritional advice, but it never hurts to ask whether your dog might benefit from taking a supplement.
The good news for you is that we’ve done the research to determine the five most common supplements veterinarians recommend for dogs, so you know how to open a conversation with your vet. We’ve also taken the time to pick out some of the best options for each of these five supplements.
Here are our top picks for the best supplements for dogs:
- Best multivitamin supplement for dogs: PetHonesty 10-for-1 Multivitamin
- Best omega-3 supplement for dogs: Zesty Paws Wild Alaskan Salmon Oil
- Best probiotic supplement for dogs: Purina Pro Plan FortiFlora Canine Probiotic Supplement
- Best glucosamine supplement for dogs: Cosequin DS Plus MSM Chewable Tablets
- Best urinary health supplement for dogs: Zesty Paws Cranberry Bladder Bites
Subscribe to our newsletter. Find all the best offers at our Coupons page. Disclosure: This post is brought to you by the Insider Picks team. We highlight products and services you might find interesting. If you buy them, we get a small share of the revenue from the sale from our commerce partners. We frequently receive products free of charge from manufacturers to test. This does not drive our decision as to whether or not a product is featured or recommended. We operate independently from our advertising sales team. We welcome your feedback. Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.