GREENVILLE, NC (WITN) – February is Heart Month and according to the American Heart Association, one million people will have a heart attack or die of coronary heart disease in the United States this year. Heart disease remains the leading cause of death globally.
In honor of Heart Month, Vidant Wellness Center’s Nutrition Clinic Coordinator, Colleen Bucher, RN, LDN, RD, shared these heart-healthy recipes on WITN News at Sunrise!
2 cups uncooked quick-cooking oats
½ cup packed brown sugar or Splenda brown sugar
1/3 cup dried fruit (dates, raisins, dried cherries,blueberries)
2 tbsp. chopped walnuts
1 tsp. baking powder
1 ½ cups fat-free milk
½ cup applesauce
2 tbsp. canola or olive oil
1 large egg, beaten
Cooking Spray to coat baking dish
1. Preheatoven to 375 degrees
2. Combine the oats, sugar, fruits, walnuts, andbaking powder in a medium bowl.
3. In a smaller bowl, combine the milk, applesauce,oil and egg and stir with a whisk.
4. Add the milk mixture to the oat mixture and stiruntil well blended.
5. Pour all into an 8-inch baking dish which hasbeen coated with cooking spray.
6. Bake at 375 deg. For 20 minutes or until centeris done. Serve warm with more milk ifdesired
*Serves 5 (2/3 cup serving size)
Calories-300;Fat-8.1 gm; Protein-7 gm; Carbs-47 gm; Fiber 3.4 gm; Sodium-171 mg
White Bean and Avocado Wrap:
15 oz can, reduced sodium white navy or cannellini beans,drained and rinsed
1 ripe avocado, peeled and seed removed
3 Tbsp. white or red wine vinegar
1 ½ tsp. extra virgin olive oil
1 tsp. honey
1/8 tsp. black ground pepper or chili powder
3 cups shredded, bagged green and purple cabbage w/carrots
½ cup cherry tomatoes, quartered
2 Tbsp. chopped cilantro or parsley, divided
4 whole wheat 8-inch wraps or tortillas
1. Add the cabbage mixture, tomatoes and 1 Tbsp.cilantro to the bowl and toss to coat the vegetables. Set aside for 15 minutes to marinate.
2. In a small bowl, combine the white beans andavocado. Mash with the back of a forkand mix until thoroughly blended and spreadable.
3. In the center of each of the four wraps ortortillas, place 2 heaping tablespoons of the avocado mixture and spread towithin 2 inches from the edges.
4. Stir the cabbage mixture again and place 2heaping tablespoons on the top of the bean/avocado mixture.
5. Add the extra cilantro on top if desired.
6. Begin folding the two sides inward; fold thebottom side up to touch the 2 folded sides, then roll the wrap until completelyclosed. Insert large toothpick or lie onplate with open end down.
7. In a medium bowl, whisk together the vinegar,oil, honey and pepper.
Calories-339; Fat-11 gm; Carbs-54 gm;Fiber-15 gm; Protein-12 gm; Sodium-471 mg
Vidant Health is encouraging ENC residents to embrace some heart-healthy habits through it’s 2018 Heart Truth Tour and “Heart to Go” educational kits. You can learn more about those opportunities here.
You can find additional Healthy Cooking Tips from the American Heart Association here.