The most searched recipes of 2020 have been unveiled and the list paints a pretty revealing picture of our lockdown diets.
Hand sanitiser tops Google’s search list followed by plenty of comfort foods and sweet treats.
The top 10 Google searches for recipes were:
- Sourdough bread
- Whipped coffee or dalgona coffee.
- Disney churro
- Dole Whip (a pineapple flavoured cream used exclusively at Disneyland)
- DoubleTree cookie (a chocolate chip given out at DoubleTree hotels)
- Ikea meatballs
- Chaffle (a combination of the words “cheese” and “waffle”)
- Hamburger bun
- Egg salad sandwich
- Healthy banana bread
Nutritionist Susie Burrell shared her favourite healthier recipes with Weekend Sunrise.
Zucchini and Walnut Bread
- 2 cups self-raising flour
- 1 tsp. Bicarbonate soda
- 2/3 cup brown/caster sugar
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 tsp. vanilla essence
- 2-3 zucchinis, grated
- 1/2 cup walnuts, chopped as preferred
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup low fat milk
- 1 tbsp. light olive oil
- Line a loaf tin with baking paper.
- Mix our, bicarbonate of soda, sugar, cinnamon, grated zucchini and walnuts in a bowl then add the eggs, milk and oil.
- Spoon into the loaf tin and bake at 180°C for 50-60 minutes until cooked through.
- 500g lean beef mince
- 1 onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 carrots
- 4 celery stalks
- 2 x 400g can diced tomatoes
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 3 bay leaves & thyme sprigs
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 4-6 spiralised zucchinis
- Handful basil leaves
- For the bolognese sauce: heat half the oil in a large frying pan over a medium heat.
- Add the mince and brown, stirring to break up any lumps.
- Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Heat the remaining oil and add the onion, garlic, celery and carrot. Sweat these ingredients down till they are soft and fragrant.
- Return the mince to the pan along with the tomatoes, tomato paste, wine, bay leaves and thyme giving the mixture a good stir.
- Cover and simmer for up to an hour, but in the last 10 minutes of cooking remove the lid and let the sauce reduce and thicken.
- In this last 10 minutes of cooking, heat a smaller pan over a low-medium heat with a spray of oil and sauté the zucchini noodles for 8-10 minutes.
- Serve the bolognese over a good helping of zucchini noodles and top with basil.
Healthy Beef Stroganoff
- 500g beef rump
- 1 onion
- 500g sliced mushrooms
- 2/3 cup water
- 1 tsp beef stock powder
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 300ml Greek yoghurt
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- Over a medium to high heat, spray a large fry pan lightly with oil. Add beef strips to the pan and coo. Remove the beef and set aside.
- Dice the onion. Return the pan to hob on a low heat and add onion and sliced mushrooms to the pan and cook until tender. Add the water, (low salt) stock and tomato paste. Make sure it’s paste with no added salt if possible. Add the beef strips to the pan and stir in.
- Separately combine yoghurt with the lemon juice and add to the pan. Allow to simmer for a further 5 minutes and season.
Click here for more delicious recipes.