Looking for something with a little kick? These veggie burgers are
flavorful and packed with protein and fiber. They’re healthy, delicious and really easy to make!
Spicy Lentil Chickpea Burgers – makes 6 servings
• ½ cup of lentils (yellow or red/pink)
• 1 cup of water
• 1 can of chickpeas (15-ounce), drained and rinsed
• ¼ cup of roasted red bell peppers
• 1 tablespoon of taco seasoning (no salt)
• ¼ teaspoon of salt
• 2 teaspoons of nutritional yeast
• 1 teaspoon of olive oil
• 1 teaspoon of lemon juice
• 2 cloves of garlic
• ¼ cup of red onion
• ¼ cup of fresh cilantro
• ¼ cup of breadcrumbs
- If baking, preheat oven to 400F.
Wash lentils, add to pot with water, put over medium heat. Bring to a boil,
cover and cook for 8-12 mins, or until almost tender.
- Drain excess water, add to blender.
Wash and drain chickpeas, add to blender, add the rest of the ingredients.
Blend until a coarse paste forms.
Transfer mixture to bowl. Taste and adjust spice as needed. Let chill for
10 mins. If too sticky, add more breadcrumbs.
- Shape into 3-inch patties.
Brush oil onto a baking sheet, place patties on sheet and bake for 20 mins
in oven. Or pan-fry in a medium-greased pan, 3-4 mins on each side.
- Add your choice of topping(s): cheese, guacamole, ketchup, etc.
Nutritional Information (per serving):
Calories: 84 calories