If it seems like losing weight gets harder as you get older, you’re not imagining things. But while it’s true that your metabolism does slow as you age, that doesn’t mean there’s nothing you can do about it. It’s still very possible to stay fit and healthy long after your 40th birthday.
For best results, figure out the most effective weight loss tips for your body and utilize them so you won’t waste time with moves or foods that don’t do anything for you. These are some of the best weight loss tips for your 40s you may not have heard of.
Aim for 7 hours of sleep each night
If sleeping your way slim sounds too good to be true, rejoice: Sleep is crucial to a good metabolism, especially as you age. Numerous studies have been published about the dangers of skimping on sleep, so many it a priority every night. Your body will thank you.
Get more Vitamin D
Many of us are deficient in Vitamin D, especially during the winter. But if you get more of it, it can help you lose weight, or at least slow your weight gain.
Become an 80/20 eater
Eating healthy foods and watching your calorie intake becomes even more vital after your 40th birthday, but that doesn’t mean you should never treat yourself. One of celebrity trainer Jillian Michael’s top weight loss tips is the 80/20 rule: Make 80% of the food you eat healthy, and allow the other 20% to be a splurge. This will keep you from feeling deprived and keep the pounds off in the long run.
Cut way back on your drinking
We know cutting back on the beer and wine isn’t fun, but if you’re over 40, it can make a huge difference in your weight. The effects of drinking hit you harder after 40 anyway, so consider this a natural boost in your productivity. You don’t have to give it up entirely, but saving it for an occasional treat will really help.
Women: Optimize your diet for changing hormones
Your metabolism slows down as you near menopause, but eating more unprocessed plant foods like whole fruits, veggies, legumes, and nuts and seeds will make your body more forgiving. Plus, you’ll enjoy a noticeable boost in energy that will make exercising a little easier.
Men: Get more lean protein
We all know that protein is an essential weight loss aid for men and women of all ages. But as it turns out, it can make a pretty big difference for men over 40 especially. Here’s the shocker: While you should increase your protein levels, you should actually cut back on meat. Studies have shown that plant-based diets with limited meat are real weight loss boosters for men, so make eggs, nuts, black beans, and quinoa your new diet staples.
Everyone: Eliminate any underlying metabolic conditions
Don’t let your body work against you! About one in five adults over the age of 40 has a thyroid condition, and many of them don’t even know it. A sluggish thyroid is a top reason people can’t lose weight, so get yours checked and stay on top of it.
Losing weight after 40 doesn’t have to be a depressing struggle. Here are some other classic weight loss tips for more mature adults.
Follow The Cheat Sheet on Facebook!