This Father’s Day, treat dad to a big bowl of homemade ice cream with this vegan baklava nice cream recipe made from frozen bananas.
By Stephanie Beer
Not sure if it’s just me, or that I grew up with a dad with a serious Dairy Queen habit, but dads and ice cream just seem to go perfectly together — kind of like peanut butter and jelly.
I’m always trying to gently introduce my dad to healthier versions of his favorite dessert, and Father’s Day is the perfect excuse to try out one of my creations on him to see if the ice cream aficionado approves.
One alternative to traditional ice cream is nice cream, a non-dairy, vegan, refined sugar-free and gluten-free treat made from frozen bananas (yes, that’s really it!) It’s super simple to make — no ice cream maker required. Hope your dad enjoys it as much as mine!
Baklava Nice Cream
5 ripe bananas (peeled and frozen)
1 cup raw walnuts
1/2 cup raw pistachios
2 tbsp. honey
5 medjool dates
Pinch of sea salt
1. Blend bananas in a high-speed blender until a soft serve-like consistency has been achieved. This could take over 2 minutes, and you’ll need to pause to mix the bananas up, or use your tamper aggressively if you’re using a Vitamix.
2. Combine all other ingredients in a food processor and pulse until well combined into a thick paste that sticks together.
3. Spoon date/nut mixture onto a parchment paper-lined cookie sheet and flatten to form a thin 1/4 inch thick layer.
4. Set date/nut mixture in freezer for about 15 minutes.
5. Add blended banana mixture to the food processor.
6. Remove date/nut mixture from freezer and break up into small chunks with your hands and add back to food processor.
7. Pulse food processor so date/nut mixture gets combined with bananas, but not completely pureed (there should still be chunks).
8. Transfer mixture to a freezer-safe dish (I like using a loaf pan), cover and set in freezer overnight before enjoying.
9. Use an ice cream scooper to serve on a cone, in a cup or however Dad likes it!