With hectic schedules, dozens of errands to run and long office hours, it is no wonder that so many people resort to unhealthy takeaways or expensive meals on the go. Whilst takeaways and fast food are indeed a quick and convenient option for those who lead busy lives, they also often contain a lot of unhealthy, processed and cheap ingredients that don’t adequately nourish the body.
If you are someone who is looking to prepare your own fresh and healthy meals but don’t have the luxury of time on your side, this is the article for you. Today, we have a look at 5 quick, healthy recipes for hectic lifestyles that won’t take you more than 15 minutes to prepare. Whether it’s for a quick dinner or for your lunchbox, these recipes are sure to tantalise your tastebuds and nourish your body at the same time. Read on to find out more!
Salmon Stuffed Avocados
- ½ cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt
- ½ cup diced celery
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 2 teaspoons mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon ground pepper
- 2 (5 ounce) cans salmon, drained, flaked, skin and bones removed
- 2 avocados
- Chives, for garnish
- Combine yogurt, celery, parsley, lime juice, mayonnaise, mustard, salt, and pepper in a blender jug. Pulse until sauce is smooth and combined. Add salmon and mix well.
- Halve avocados lengthwise and remove pits. Scoop about 1 tablespoon flesh from each avocado half into a small bowl. Mash the scooped-out avocado flesh with a fork and stir into the salmon mixture.
- Fill each avocado half with about 1/4 cup of the salmon mixture, mounding it on top of the avocado halves. Garnish with chives, if desired.
Crispy Tempeh Salad
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 300g packet tempeh, sliced
- 200g packet Leaf Salad
- 50g shaved red cabbage
- 1 carrot, peeled, cut into matchsticks
- 400g can cannellini beans, drained
- 1 avocado, thinly sliced
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup of your favourite store bought dressing
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Cook the tempeh, in 2 batches, for 1-2 mins each side or until golden brown and heated through.
- Meanwhile, combine the salad leaves, cabbage, carrot, beans, avocado and onion in a bowl.
- Arrange the tempeh over salad and drizzle with dressing. Season.
Creamy Tomato Zucchini Noodles
- 4 slices of Parma ham
- ½ small pack basil
- 350g tomato and mascarpone sauce
- 250g pack of zucchini noodles
- Roughly tear the ham and basil. Heat a frying pan over a medium heat and dry-fry the ham until crisp. Transfer to a plate with a slotted spoon.
- Add the sauce to the pan and cook for 1-2 mins, then toss in the courgetti.
- Cook for 1 min more until warmed through.
- Divide between bowls, then top with the ham and basil.
Mexican Street Salad
- 250g pearl couscous
- 2 chorizo, sliced into rounds
- 2 corn cobs, husks and silks removed
- 2 small capsicums, deseeded, cut into thick strips
- 2 tablespoons chipotle mayonnaise, to serve
- Prepare the couscous, following the packet directions.
- Preheat and lightly grease a chargrill pan or barbecue grill. Cook the chorizo for 1-2 minutes each side or until golden and lightly charred. Transfer to a board.
- Cook the corn and capsicum for 3-4 minutes each side or until smoky and lightly charred. Remove the corn from the cob.
- Combine the couscous, chorizo, corn and capsicum in a large bowl and divide among serving plates. Drizzle with dressing.
Healthy Moroccan Couscous
- ¼ tsp paprika
- ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp cumin
- ¼ tsp coriander
- ¼ tsp turmeric
- ⅛ tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 cups couscous
- 2 cups boiling water
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ½ cup dried figs, quartered
- ½ cup toasted almonds, chopped
- ½ cup feta, crumbled
- ¼ cup fresh mint, roughly chopped
- ¼ cup fresh parsley, roughly chopped
- 4-6 cups fresh rocket
- Juice of ½ lemon
- In a large heatproof bowl whisk together Ras El Hanout Spice Blend and couscous. Pour boiling water into the bowl, stir and place plastic wrap over the bowl.
- Set aside, should be cooked in 10-12 minutes.
- Roughly chop herbs, figs and almonds and halve tomatoes. Once couscous is cooked, drizzle with olive oil and fluff with a fork.
- Add feta, figs, almonds, tomatoes, herbs and arugula to bowl, toss. Squeeze over lemon juice.
Healthy and delicious meals needn’t take hours to prepare, and these 5 recipes are a testament to that. We hope that this article has inspired you to flex your culinary skills and embrace healthy cooking like never before.